Interview with David Boyne, UK MD of RS No.9 creators Bravado
We interviewed David Boyne, UK Managing Director of Bravado, the creators behind RS No.9 Carnaby Street. He says Carnaby was an obvious place to open the Rolling Stones’ world-first flagship store because of the area’s rich, cultural heritage and “the way its history is entwined with icons form the world of music since the 60s”.
1. Can you tell us about RS No. 9 Carnaby St? What was it about Carnaby that made it the right fit for the first and only permanent retail space?
RS No 9 Carnaby was a really special project for the band and ourselves. It was an opportunity to open a unique premium retail space and attract a new demographic. We love the core, traditional Stones fans but wanted to grow a more trend-focused, fashion conscious audience too. When we were looking at possible locations we just kept coming back to Carnaby Street. Its rich cultural heritage and the way its history is entwined with icons from the world of music since the 60’s made it the obvious place to open the official Rolling Stones store.
2. Can you tell us about RS No. 9 Carnaby St? What was it about Carnaby that made it the right fit for the first and only permanent retail space?
As I alluded to, the rich musical heritage of Carnaby Street makes it a perfect location to have a band store but the volume of international tourists also makes it a very relevant location. So, whether it is a focused, short-term Pop-Up store or a permanent retail space Carnaby Street is perfect!
3. Do you have any funny or key celebrity stories and events from the store?
I think the first time we were visited by a member of the band was fantastic. Ronnie Wood came to see us and was blown away by what had been achieved. He signed the life-size Stones tongue and his signature can still be seen in the store today!
4. What is your relationship like with the community? How would you describe the Carnaby community in three words?
Vibrant. Youthful. Fresh. I think we have a really strong connection with the Carnaby community through the store.
5. What are a few of your favourite moments from the stores and collaborations over the years?
The store opening on 9th September 2020 was fantastic! The feedback from the global press was incredible. All the UK media were there plus we spoke with press from around the world; the USA, Japan, Spain, Australia and Brazil to name a few. It really was an amazing day and a testament to the global reach of the world’s greatest rock n roll band! Each time we have released a special edition, limited red vinyl album has also been great. To see the hundreds of Stones fans queuing up to buy a piece of history has constantly given us all an incredible buzz!